Thursday, June 5, 2008

Unappreciatively Appreciating the Appreciable things of Vancouver

Yes! Yes! I am one of those people who dislike Vancouver for what it is...

Sadly, I have a resentment towards everything I am. Yes, I am a Vancouverite. Yes, at times I love this city. And YES, at times I have a great distaste for it.

Beautiful Vancouver, I will have to admit that the city is simply that. You are guaranteed a breath of fresh air regardless of where you are in the city. Beautiful people are strolling the streets and a Diversity of people that you could never find elsewhere in the world. Socially Liberal and welcoming. Friendly City.

Why do I dislike this city? COMPLACENCY! People here are complacent with their lives. They make good money, they really do, with real estate like this how could you not? But living your life 9-5 and living at a pace no faster than a worm on a moist day? C'mon people! This is why I'm determined to leave this city. I feel like im in a sand pit sinking fast. Starting to feel complacent.

But ah! THE FOOD! OH THE FOOD! This is the only thing worth living in Vancouver for! And this is why I am determined to write this blog! For the food. And before I leave for Hong Kong (another great Mecca of food) I am determined to feed my culinary lust.


A little trip to Tokyo before I get to Tokyo:



I recent ate at Gyoza king with a few friends of mine. We were hoping to go to Zakkushi (I've proclaimed this place my Shangri-La as I have attempted to go here countless times without finding a SEAT!). We waited for our seats for 45 minutes to no avail and was left to find another establishment to feed my hunger for Japanese eats. We settled on Gyoza King which I've been hoping to go to for awhile. I've been to their sister restaurant "Nan Chuu" in Richmond on Alexandria Rd ( A diner's little strip of Heaven). The Nanchuu experience was great, but was nothing mind blowing. I was hoping this place would feed that gluttonous urge for Izakaya food. Amazingly "Izakaya" has undoubtedly been the fastest growing dining experience in Vancouver. Rightfully so I say, Drinking and Tapas sized foods made for drinking! The Japanese always have food right. Well anyways we were seated warmly by our hostess/waitress. We took our time deciding what to order and I had it all written down on our napkin for our waitress. She was surprised and delightfully so, but I have a horrible memory and wanted to make sure everything was down there. I must say that I was thoroughly satisfied with our meals, but maybe it was my grumbling stomach and taste buds dying for anything to hit those lips after the 45 minute wait at Zakkushi. We had the Gyu Yukke which was their version of Beef TarTar. The beef was sweet and fat, melt in your mouth delicious! It had a hint of miso, mirin, and light soy topped with a quail egg. The prawn, chicken and chive Gyozas, on my friend's advice, were well made, though anything resembling a dumpling will never be as good as a Xiao Loong Bao, but that's being bias. My favourite item that night was the Grilled Saba swimming in a Miso sauce. My God! The dish was a melt in your mouth delight! For Libations, I ordered my favaourite Japanese Sake and a large bottle of Asahi. The Yoshi Sake never fails me, although I would've enjoyed the organic one alot more. Despite some awkward conversation I was able to dine through with glee and a GAMBATTE here and there ever so often, as required.

Gyoza King is definitely the big brother of the two Restaurants. I was more satisfied with my meal at the Westend location and would definitely go back for more. Now I have to ponder my next search for a seat at Shangri-La (Zakkushi). Before that, I have a trip to make to a Kitchen, Italian Kitchen that is. This time I will be celebrating my joyous day of birth. I hope the hype of this restaurant, another Glowbal proprietor's PR engine, will be as good the press says. A little rich carbohydrate never hurt anyone, especially one that's about to get plastered for his enduring lifetime.


Cheers and until next time, I'll be wishing to leave this mundane city for good!


Gyoza King
1508 Robson St. Vancouver BC 604-669-8278




1 comment:

Unknown said...

"another Glowbal proprietor's PR engine"
yoink

thanks.
i am hungry and compelled to cook my steak now. and it's 12:30 in the morning.