Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Intermittent Revelries; Scarce Acts of Hedonistic Indulgances; Bacchus' Call to Gluttony

Mondays! I Hate Mondays! But Bacchus made it RIGHT!

Do you remember Garfield and his emnity of Mondays? Well I hate mondays too.
It brings a forboding feeling of doom when you have to sit in your office for 8 hours a day
for the next 5 days. How pitifull. But what's so special about this past Monday? Well it was MONDAY and the
first day of the week deserved a brief and exhillirating moment of recklessness. If life was mundane, I wish it would be mundane as that of the Romans. I mean drinking everyday and binging and purging must be so tedious! And those Orgies! How utterly BORING. Well maybe Bacchus set those Romans straight and showed them how to live a tedious life of utterly gluttony. I WANT IN!

Well I was in. . . On Monday. And this is where the story of Monday begins. The Chaberton Winery in Langley was holding a private party for their customers. Guess who was invited? A couple of co-workers and I left the office at noon to head out to rural Langley for a taste of elixer with our minds set on getting totally sloshed. Mission accomplished? Well I'll have to start with the details, I'm sorry to say. The drive to Langley was wet, and arduous. Speeding on Hwy 1 over a pool of water isn't the best way to go out even if the lack of screeching tires makes the wreckage seem more serene. Twisted, I know. Driving brings the worst out of me. Well the rain kept coming down, like all the Angels in heaven were out on their piss break after breaking into cabinet of Sachristy wine. Blasphemous I know, but sue me. We made it despite our deficiencies in mapskills.


I could taste it on the lips, that beautiful elixir made from wines. Bacchus was definitely guiding us this afternoon as we stepped into his very own aboding, The Bacchus Bistro. We went in and put on our masks - lame name tags w/ company names. Ek, networking at a time like this is distasteful. I just wanted my DAMN WINE. Well I got it. First glass of beauty was a Gewurtz. Oh that glorious white hit my tastebuds and a dance of merriment tingled within. The next refreshing nector was a Meritage. A little young, but given a few years to age it would've been a gem. 5 glasses, 10 glasses. We decided to move to the store for some Chaberton Specialties. The BACCHUS! The irony! The Bacchus wine is definitely a glorious work of a wine chemist. You are immediately hit by the senses of peaches, grapes, and apples. I took my sip and a rush of pleasure rushed through me, than a shudder. It was quite a sweet wine. If my taste wasn't so descriminating, this wine would've top honors. But no, that honor went to a glass of Cabernet Merlot. My God, the rich, the bold, the mellow, and soothing notes of chocolate. I was brought back to an experience of eating the perfect NY Striploin topped with a Stilton fondant. That drink made me want to drink even more wine! Bring on the Libations. Hedonistically I ran back to the bistro to fill up more glasses. The canape's and hor'douvres were just what we needed to cut that alcohol back. My co-workers and I enjoyed our revelries as the Canadiana pub like music roared through the afternoon. One of my female counterparts decided to hit on the chef hoping to get us a recipe for the rich quiche they made. As dusk came upon us, all we really wanted to do was to head over to Chuck'E'Cheeses and slam a few pizzas while playing carnival games before heading back into the civilized world.

Here are a few wines I would recommend from Chaberton:

Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot - 2004
The Bacchus
The Madelaine Silvayner
The Ortega
The Meritage - Give it a few years
The Gavay Noir
The Syrah
The Gewurtztreimer is worth trying

The Bacchus Bistro Food is definitely worth trying if you have the
patience to venture out into Langley.
The Homestyle french food is rich and matched perfectly with their wine.

For now, I leave you with a bit of Roman hedonism.
Until next time, I bid you all goodbye.

No comments: